Position(s) Currently Available
Posted: October 2, 2017
Research TEchinician 2, Center for Cell Reprogramming, Department of Pathology - Georgetown University Medical Center
The Research Technician 2 will assist in carrying out cancer research experiments, especially generation and maintenance of patient-derived conditionally reprogrammed cell lines and 3D primary cell cultures from various tumor tissue types; and will use zebrafish model system to study metastatic behavior of primary tumors.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Research Technician 2 has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Establishes primary cell cultures using patient's or mouse PDX tissue materials using conditionally reprogram cell technology.
- Maintains the cultures and carry out proliferation assays.
- Carries out several molecular biology techniques, such as DNA and RNA isolation from cells and tissue materials, qPCR, and gel electrophoresis for DNA and proteins.
- Prepares protein cell lysates for Western blotting.
- Performs immunofluorescence staining of cells and capturing images.
- Images zebrafish using IF microscope.
- Keeps impeccable experiments’ details experiments, results, and interpretation of data in the laboratory notebook, and presents data in the lab meetings.
- Maintains computer hardware and software.
- Performs routine lab jobs such as glassware washing and autoclaving, which will be shared with others in the laboratory.
Bachelor’s degree – Master’s degree preferred
2 years of experience in tissue culture, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, protein gels, and immunoblotting - preference for 2 years of extensive lab experience in cellular and molecular biology techniques and an experience with zebrafish handling and injections in embryos will be a plus
Working knowledge of immunofluorescence microscopy
Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Photoshop, and any statistical analysis software